Thursday, 23 July 2026

Superhero Landing

I still remember the good times when I had thought that I would end up becoming a physician-writer. The plan back in the day I had for the novel that I wanted to write was kickass. The concept was exciting. Unfortunately the country and the world changed so much that that concept is not feasible now. The country that I ended up seeing, that concept now will never be applicable and believable unless and until the story is set in a different universe or dimension. Those were good times when one could actually imagine. I actually have comics from that era and there was hope in those comics, of new stories, of mythmaking. Comics are the only media that don't require a big budget to show grand narratives and I say show because in novels you have to imagine what you read. I have gone through severe politically induced cognitive decline and so writing anything more than a short story or flash fiction in the political environment we are living in is a big deal and so I wonder if I would ever be able to write what I had planned but I do keep adapting to times and now am writing a depressive sort of magic realist novella. It's sad that given the political situation of this country Indian comics and graphic novels are done with and there doesn't seem any scope for homegrown stories anymore. The mystery and mythicality of this country is done with and unfortuantely I have had the bad luck to know why. I don't know if any sort of mythmaking would work in this country anymore including superhero movies and that is a thing to be seen. What we are seeing is the result of stifling of homegrown voices and while here and there new comicbooks take shape they will soon die down if no one would read them. The main reason I ended up realising behind this is deprivation, deprivation of people of food for thought and since I have seen, in Purvanchal, deprivation at the level of physical needs it doesn't really surprise me. The food for thought from this is that this is how totalising the politics, or should I say, the deep politics of this country is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

उफान

सपने टूटते हैं  तो दिल टूट जाता है, दर्द का दरिया उमड़ता है कभी, कभी गुस्से का उफान, खालीपन सा घर कर लेता है  सीने में और फिर हम फिर उस खालीप...