Thursday, 9 July 2026

Raka Ka Aatank

I see Indian comics fans on Facebook. I follow Indian comics groups and see them buying reprints of comics as new comics especially with storylines as good as the 90s are scarce. I see 90s comics and strip creators and writers on Facebook rehashing their comics art and stories. It seems that time has stopped. These individuals on Facebook showing their old comics collections, their acquisitions of reprints and wishing that Anurag Kashyap directs a Doga movie or Mukesh Khanna goes ahead with Shaktimaan with Sony Pictures do not know that Indian mythmaking is dead. Is not as dead as it has been made unavailable to anyone other than the upper class who anyway perfer DC and Marvel. Comics has always been on my mind because it is a form of storytelling, and along with short stories one of my favourite modes of storytelling. Marvel and DC are mainstream in India and I love Marvel and DC. I'm not jingoist and also love comicbooks and superheroes and good stories. In fact the only movies I watch anymore are Marvel and DC and I have to give it to MCU and DCU that the scale that they make the movies I, despite having an inability to disconnect from reality and suspending my belief end up getting immersed in their world. Homegrown superheroes are dead and the experiential reality of this country has become so ugly that suspension of belief won't work which is a major thing to achieve in a superhero project plus Indians neither have the technology and very unfortunately nor the craft to make stories that can immerse people like MCU and DCU. I had heard Sanjay Gupta is making a movie on a quite recent (late 2000s early 2010s) superhero called Rakshak written by Shamik Dasgupta, an announcement was made and then there was no other news. Krrish is still there and while the first movie was good, the second movie Krrish 3 was just okay due to the VFX but still efforts need to be commended. There was Brahmastra which had great VFX but it for the most part suffered with lack of warmth which is one of the important thing in superhero movies. Amazon announced a superhero series with TVF and Indusverse comics which has mythological themes and I would suppose like the comics which were being published in late 2000s-early 2010s like Virgin Comics, Holy Cow!, Yali Dream Creations and Level 10 comics. Unfortunately by now I have seen the rapey base reality of this nation and mythofiction doesn't work with me though good luck to them. I'd prefer a good Doga or Anthony story anyday over mythofiction that induces nausea when you compare it to the rapey feudal-corporate base reality of this country. Like I said Indian mythmaking is dead. I am eagerly waiting for Brand New Day and Doomsday and just now read in news that Marvel is making a Nova TV series. For a comic fan this is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competent Authority

You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...