An archive of my writings and a place for my writing experiments and projects.
Tuesday, 16 June 2026
Write Up
My writing has influences, when I was in early 20s I was influenced by stream of consciousness of Anton Chekhov and the noir sensibility later I got interested in Detective fiction set in British aesthetic by Arthur Conan Doyle and Lovecraftian sensibility and aesthetic during the early 2010s I got interested in transgressive fiction from people like Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Eastron Ellis and I still retain element of transgressive fiction in my writing to state the truth plainly where it is required, I don't believe in using transgressive fiction as a shock value unless it is purely for entertainment purpose like in fiction where of course it has to be dialed down in comparison to when we are expressing the actual reality. A lot of my influence comes from Hindi children's literature, magazines and comics from the 90s, a time when idealism in media was still alive, there was a standard ideals around which opinions were formed. I believe that writing is about creating an atmosphere. One reads Dracula from Bram Stoker and understands what atmosphere actually means, one can see it Harry Potter series too. I don't like atmospheres of Neil Gaiman but I am fan of his writing, the way he arranges the words and expresses the stories with words. I don't write fiction as regularly as I would like to due to the problem of the atmosphere, I am not able to build my kind of atmosphere due to the political time we live in. The concept of the novels that I conceptualized are redundant now due to the changes politics of the world. I see books and stories as portals where you step in another world and spend some time there but the reality of today, especially due to social media is too on the face to be able to suspend belief and enter the portal. Portals, like Narnia's Wardrobe, Platform 9 3/4 and portals to other dimensions, times and worlds also happen to be my favourite literary devices as one can keep the reality as it as and experience other worlds through them. It is like one can keep the reality and politics of today's world as it is and enter a world where everything is different and 90s had abundant use of this devices like a bonded labourer climbing a tree and finding a whole new kingdom at the top. I'm working on a novella at present but the vibe or atmosphere is not as I would like it to be and so I am going slowly with it, trying to build it slowly. Reality one lives in, which consists mostly of survival can eat up imagination and ability to fantasize. I, however, have stories in me and I would like to let them out if I can get the atmosphere correct.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haystack
You lock in. Chekhov’s spirit flows in your nerves, it’s stream of consciousness. You roleplay Samurai Jack, trapped in the future with shap...
-
Jay thrashed his fingers across the strings of his bass guitar, the basis notes reverberating through the dimly lit club. The cr...
-
Is life beautiful? Well it depends. Is the world beautiful? Again, it depends. The earth though is beautiful and there is no doubt about tha...
-
He saw his result and closed his eyes. He felt like his head is swirling around in circles. He had never expected that from himself but now ...
No comments:
Post a Comment