An archive of my writings and a place for my writing experiments and projects.
Sunday, 7 September 2025
Childswan
I just got myself Ursula K. Le Guin's fantasy series The Books of Earthsea. I already have Lord of The Rings and Dune series and was thinking of getting myself Game of Thrones too but then last book of the series hasn't been released yet. Since 2013 there has been a lot of hampering with my reading western literature but with time I realised that it is in fact particular to me and not really general for this nation. I have been reading fantasy throughout my life so it was a bit odd but then that's my political reality at present. Fantasy is great, even though at present it feels like I have lost the taste for western fantasy and nobody in this country has the guts or capability to write good indigenous fantasy. I miss people like Anant Kushwaha who could truly portray rustic fantasies of this country, but then they were never valued because the so called elites of this country had their heads in West's asshole. Reading is hard work for me at present because imagination is, though I can read non-fiction well so I read books about writing, history, as I have realised through my past decade's experiences, is hogwash and everyone believes the history that is convenient to them. Fantasy and superhero stuff is only authentic entertainment that there is. Rest all can be considered, at least in the present political climate, as propaganda. It's sad that the concept of the novel I had in the late 2000s and early 2010s is redundant now due to the shift in the political reality of this nation, but I would write it anyway. The concepts for the novels I have in my head are great and despite the lack in psychological capital at present I might end up writing it. I would have loved to write a metaphorical novel or novella, because what is fantasy if not a metaphor for reality, but I think this country is so uneducated that it doesn't really deserve metaphors. I'm glad that I exposed myself to noir and transgressive fiction in my early youth because no matter what genre I write now, I get to have that punch that only genres like noir, hardboiled and transgressive fiction can deliver. Here is the image that I conjured up in my youth for one of my novels, an antihero helping the protagonist fight and suddenly gets shot in the head with a shotgun and his head is splattered on the wall and he is never talked about in the whole story again, this is actually the metaphor for a common good man's life in this country, it is not dissimilar to the role of Shahrukh Khan in the movie Shakti and I have thought about using this approach for so long that it has lost its relevance now, I use this approach in my general writing too, shocking readers so that they take a bit longer to process it and actually get the point. The media of this country has been compromised, and as far as books go I think from now on we'll only get books of planted stooges like Amish or kids of the rich who want to become "writers". I checked Substack recently and found a lot of Indians writing on it, and it was like a breath of fresh air and reminded me of early days of blogging in late 2000s and early 2010s, these kids and young men and women are delusional and unaware of the actual current political reality of this nation but they are writing their truths and sooner or later they would come to the actual truth of this country and world, it's inevitable. I, in the meantime, am trying to focus on fantasy and specifically Indian mythofantasy and folk fantasy in the style of Anant Kushwaha. It is extremely hard to imitate Anant Kushwaha in English because he was a man connected to the roots and also if I'm able to imagine like him translating his vibe in English language is extremely difficult, but that's what the challenge is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Competent Authority
You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...
-
Jay thrashed his fingers across the strings of his bass guitar, the basis notes reverberating through the dimly lit club. The cr...
-
Is life beautiful? Well it depends. Is the world beautiful? Again, it depends. The earth though is beautiful and there is no doubt about tha...
-
He saw his result and closed his eyes. He felt like his head is swirling around in circles. He had never expected that from himself but now ...
No comments:
Post a Comment