Tuesday, 18 August 2026

No Reading Between The Lines Here

I don't like writing about writing, if I could do it I would have been writing fantasies and superhero stories, noir, steampunk, India based mythofiction, science fiction and cosmic horror. These days I get into feels very less often while reading a book but recently a book managed to get me into the feels and that was while reading the first book of the Tinfoil Dossier trilogy, Agents of Dreamland. Last time I got into such feels was when I had read Baum Plan for Financial Independence by John Kessel. Not being able to get in the feels is the reason I don't read weird fiction and cosmic horror anymore. It's useless being nationalistic in terms of literature and entertainment when the nation just produces either subpar or ill-intentioned propaganda for literature and entertainment. Indian hyperreality is stronger than the actual reality of this nation which is, if one is not delusional, equivalent to a curfew. People might have noticed that no one talks about love anymore. It doesn't mean that love doesn't exist now. It just means that it has been made practically impossible along with its commercialisation and weaponisation. People don't love now because love hurts terribly and they know that they can buy pussy for money or sell pussy for favours or money. Romantic love has been rendered structurally impossible except for the privileged and if love is a privilege than it is actually better to not to have love in life at all. You remember the song 'Bahara' from the early 2010s? Or Pyar Ki Dastaan'? There are many such songs in the early 2010s. You have to get in too deep like I did to realise that it's not the Gen Z, it's the old men habituated of rape. While I was in favour of Anurag Kashyap flavour of cinema in early 2010s, I don't think so now. The whole entertainment landscape of this country now consists of Anurag Kashyap copy cats pushing hyperreal cinema and series, but not everyone can be Anurag Kashyap, one because his intentions are good, and two because each of his movie is a standalone timeless piece of art and the more you watch them the more you see the art in them. Mirzapur the TV series or Patal Lok the TV series are not peices of art, they are examples of voyeurism translated on screen while if you watch Gulaal or Gangs of Wasseypur and have intent good enough to identify intent, you can see the art the violence hides. Something shifted in the background in the early 2010s and I know it because I felt it shifting. I'm not saying that rape wasn't the core of this nation before 2010s. I'm just saying that loving someone, calling someone a soulmate, elevating them the way we elevate those whom we romantically love was still possible back then. Loving someone hurts like a motherfucker because it has become a structural impossibility and the social engineering will make sure that lovers suffer intensely. I used to write romantic stories in my youth, now I prefer books like the Tinfoil Dossier. Cigarettes and conspiracies is all I can feel now and even my writing reflects that. I'm not saying that this country was not already defiled, I'm just saying that it has been defiled with mindless impunity in the 2010s. Like someone is hurriedly stacking resources for a nuclear winter about to arrive. I'm a 90s guy, I write my girl love letters and write poems for her. I don't swipe Tinder or Bumble. Or I do not subscribe to Only Fans contributing in the economy of work from home version of sex trafficking. I don't like to write about writing. But if one can't write what they want to write. Writing about writing ends up remaining the only option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread and Butter

I have no idea how deep states of other regions operate but I have idea about Purvanchal, and although the regions are connected modus opera...