Sunday, 25 January 2026

Hans Simmer

I have been attached to Hindi literature since I was a kid and so I got to see its downfall in real-time. Late 2000s and early 2010s there used to be a quite a bit of Hindi literature in form of books as well as there was a well developed Hindi bloggosphere. By the mid 2010s it all vanished like it never existed at all. There are a bunch of women who blog on Facebook, since Facebook now supports longform posts, about culture, mostly North Indian culture but given the state of the greater culture that is present and is being propagated it doesn't really matter. If the main culture of a country becomes assertion of power and rank, finer cultures ultimately perish. I had been reading Hindi literary magazines like Hans and recently the story in Hans are less about human condition and culture than they are about bureaucracy. I saw in Hans a story referencing the Netflix show Bojack Horseman and not only the story was written, which is okay, but also approved by the editorial of Hans which is enough to show the intellectual poverty when it comes to Hindi and Hindi literature in this country. It is later that I realised that Hindi and English are not just languages but basis of sociolinguistic stratification in this country and it's so deep that realisation of the depth and how systemic it is would baffle your mind. English is not just a language but a class marker, which anyone who is sane knows, but the mind boggling thing is that this in itself is a socio-political design. Once I understood this I realised that the ones at top are actively destroying refinement in lower and colloquial cultures and classes which unfortunately includes the middle classes too. By the mind 2010s Hindi blogging completely disappeared from the internet and so did most of Hindi literature from the market. The language of lower classes, one realises, doesn't have enough words to express the full scale of human expression which if you see evolved languages like English, German and Japanese, they have words for even abstract concepts. The grip, I realised, was tightened somewhere in early 2010s. The logic is simple, either deprive or violate someone so much that they are forced to open an OnlyFans account. If you don't have words in your language, you won't be able to oppose exploitation and this is why there is no word in Hindi or colloquial languages for things like gaslighting, victim blaming and other such exploitative techniques. To tell or express in Hindi or colloquial languages that you are being exploited you will have to piece a bunch of words together. The game of places like Purvanchal baffled me, it's more than hundred percent optimised exploitation and total prevention from accessing useful knowledge and it is similar in rest for North India. I miss good Hindi literature, but I have seen too much to enjoy it now. Recently I came across books by Manav Kaul, the actor, who also writes in Hindi and that is the only Hindi literature I could actually see in popular culture without making an effort. Middle class is being pushed with religious propaganda and so literature is being replaced by religion in the middle classes. Though it doesn't work with me anymore as I have seen that the deepest soul of this nation is rape, scamming and betrayal of its own people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competent Authority

You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...