An archive of my writings and a place for my writing experiments and projects.
Tuesday, 23 July 2024
The Write Concepts #1
I have been thinking of concepts to write about. I get an idea and I apply it on one of my ongoing writing projects. My favourite genres to write are noir, detective fiction, gothic fiction, weird fiction, mythological fiction, science fiction and cosmic horror. What I was aiming for was an amalgamation of all these genres, and I think I have reached somewhere with that. I like Victorian and early 20th century British literature and I like the vibe, additionally I also like the vibe of gothic literature and would like to experiment with it. As I have found out that it takes considerable effect to adapt some genres to an Indian setting. The Victorian fiction setting can be adapted easily if one chooses to exploit the British rule in India and the rest are doable too, so why not? I have seen Philip K. Dick's writing adapted to the screen and it turned out to be pristine. I had an idea of writing a supernatural horror detective series but it couldn't go anywhere, though I still want to pursue it. It deals with crime, occult and supernatural themes and the detective is in parts is inspired by DC's character Constantine and a generic crime fiction detective, the best example of it would be Sherlock Holmes. There are two novels in my head, one is a supernatural, historical fiction, sci-fi adventure and another is an Indian mythological noir. I have actually begun writing them but writing them makes me realise the difference between my vision and my writing ability though they aren't really turning out that bad for drafts. The first novel, which I was very excited about back in the day is turning out to be a little generic, the second one however is a great idea. The reason the first one is generic is because it was conceptualised before social media, it's about a university and corporation against each other and has supernatural, science fiction and historical fiction themes. I believe that however generic an idea is, it's the treatment that matters and with the treatment it has the potential to be a page turner. The second concept is straight up amalgamation of Indian mythological fiction and noir. It's a novel idea and I have not seen this concept anywhere in domestic and foreign pop culture. Again treatment is key. I write my novels when I get time and when I feel like it. The writing projects though, are written often and especially when I need to materialise a vague idea. I suppose I should write the supernatural detective fiction, despite knowing that detective fiction in today's day and age has become redundant and useless, even if one puts supernatural and occult spins to it. But I can have fun doing that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Competent Authority
You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...
-
Jay thrashed his fingers across the strings of his bass guitar, the basis notes reverberating through the dimly lit club. The cr...
-
Is life beautiful? Well it depends. Is the world beautiful? Again, it depends. The earth though is beautiful and there is no doubt about tha...
-
He saw his result and closed his eyes. He felt like his head is swirling around in circles. He had never expected that from himself but now ...
No comments:
Post a Comment