Sunday, 23 July 2023

A Writer's Wakeup Call

What is it to be a writer? I wanted to be a writer in my teens, and now I write. When we are young we have dreams, and when we mature we realise that they were exactly what they were, dreams. The truth of the world is such that even the ones who have made it have to suspend their belief to enjoy what the world has to offer, if they are not delusional or monsters. Anton Chekhov had said

There is nothing new in art except talent.

And I realised that a bit late. I realised that everything has been already said before. What matters is how you say it. I like literature of late 1800s and early 1900s because I have a belief that writers of that era were honest. My writing goals went through a lot of phases, at first I wanted to write noir, then a fantasy, then a crime fiction and then magical realism. I realised that despite the nature being magical, only magic in the world is politics. Politics uses magic to propagate itself and then culls it so that the common man doesn't experience it. Only magic the common folk experience is love and sometimes religious experience, that too if they are lucky, otherwise their whole life is spent in trying to earn bread, clothing and shelter for their loved ones. What is the truth if not bread, clothing and shelter? Nothing is free in the world except air. If I write noir now, how would it be? How would noir suit a place where people do not know to flush toilets in trains? You mature when you realise that all of it is intentional. And after knowing that writing crime fiction would be demonic. Conan Doyle had said

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

And I have lived long enough to know how facts are created. I do not believe in facts anymore; I believe in intent but I have realised that in the world of today even the intent of the individual can be diluted or in fact can be replaced by an artificial one, and the way it happens is like magic, but it is actually technology and in the end it is politics. It was strange to see that this kind of politics had no goals except exploitation, depravity and sadism. The control is not for order and justice but for slavery and exploitation. It is hard to digest after we study such high and mighty philosophies in schools and colleges, but then when truth expresses itself, such as in healthcare setup, that healthcare is just like a one up system in videogames. If you have money, you get a one up, otherwise you have to vacate the seat on the planet. The problem is not that. It is still a very benign system when compared to what I have experienced. And I'm not as skilled as a writer yet to be able to explain what I have experienced in words. What I would say, though, is whatever controls this nation and the world, is nothing short of demonic. William Gibson quite sometime back had said that

The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.

The truth is people do not need the future because anyway the comforts of future are just used as a dangling carrot. People just need love and peace besides bread, clothing and shelter and they do not even get that because individuals in the future are demonic sadists. The truth is I can't write what I wanted to write anymore. There is no romance, no sci-fi, no fantasy, no noir, no crime fiction and no magical realism. All that is there is here and now. Art now is just skill because hearts of people have been subdued. We are living under a providence that farms us. All that remains is creating good memories, and that too is only for the fortunate, chosen ones. The rest of us have their destinies already pre-written. The magic of nature, the flowers, the fruits, the green grass, the waterfalls have all become something that are only enjoyed when we shut off the truth, or are delusional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competent Authority

You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...