Friday, 26 July 2024

Blocks and Anchors

The blank page. You write something and then you press backspace. For honest writing one needs a basis, an anchor, but when one is aware of the anarchy in the world, that basis is shaken and the anchor becomes useless. Honest writers have a psychological or moral framework, a framework of beliefs and ideals that they hope matches with the readers for them to understand them. When you live at a place when there is no psychological or moral framework except self-interest, writing disintegrates. True, one can use life events to make things interesting, or one can entertain the readers with clever play of words, if you are old fashioned you miss the moral framework and sentimentality in a write-up. You sit in the front of the screen, type something and press backspace. And then you decide to write what's on your mind. You decide to abandon the sandbox you have made to create a write-up. You write what you feel. You have a habit of keeping your writing life and real life separate but there is no doubt that they influence each other. You sometimes take events in your real life and use it for your writing. Sometimes you write about things that are troubling you and have troubled you. A lot of writer's say that writing is about being vulnerable. You don't think so, but you understand it completely. Probably they are from better places that they can have the luxury of being vulnerable. In a place where people are only motivated by self-interest and do not think twice before exploiting others, being vulnerable is not an option. But you understand the benefits of being vulnerable. It brings a whole different level of honesty to writing. You are honest in your writing, but you are not vulnerable level honest. You are happy for those who can be vulnerable and survive. I have issues, because my life has anecdotes, funny, sentimental and tragic anecdotes. I could have written them. But I choose to not to do that. Vulnerable writers do that. They have committed to the art. I too am committed to writing but I'm more of a creative writer. I do not want to pimp my life and I don't have as much honesty and seriousness towards life and the craft as vulnerable writers to tell about my life with conviction. It's just the experiences. I had the experience that life is not serious. Why? Because I realise the value of life in this country. People lose their lives and dignity on trifles. One lives in a setting like this and one realises that honesty is not the answer, escapism is. I have a hyperactive conscience and an intense moral framework, but I have realised that it is useless in a country like this. I may express my ideals in my writing but I know that if I'm preaching it I'm getting the person who gets inspired after reading it prone to exploitation and I don't want to do that. I have a basis and an anchor but these are for a world that I thought that it was. It's hard to write for a world as it actually is. What one can do, however, is become a circus clown and keep writing, something that satisfies them and something that amuses others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competent Authority

You imagine a girl painting a picture of you as Tyler Durden from fight club. A pizza delivery boy goes to deliver a pizza at a whorehouse. ...